Standards vs. Recs (was RE: Divide the problem)

At 09:46 PM 6/8/00 +0200, Julian Reschke wrote:
>Joe Kesselman wrote:
>> > Labeling the documents as "experimental" sure would make this easier
>> > to accept.
>>
>> As I understand it, this is part of why the W3C publishes only
>> Recommendations, not Standards. You shouldn't call something a standard
>> until it has been widely adopted by the industry and has been used long
>> enough that you really believe it's stable. Viewed that way, the
>> entire web
>> is still in glorified beta-test mode.
>>
>> But this distinction has been generally ignored in the mad rush to get
>> products onto the market and capture eBusiness mindshare.
>
>Maybe it's ignored because this is where the W3C ends? For all practical
>purposes people identify W3C recommendations with standards.

Yep - the Web Standards Project, for instance.

The only place I've heard the distinction between 'Recommendation' and
'Standard' expressed strongly is from the ISO/SGML folks, who used to
remind everyone of the difference all the time.  They seem to have calmed
down lately, though.

The IETF approach is interesting as well - I like the multi-track approach,
where it's fine for some documents to be informational even after a few
thousand people-years.

Simon St.Laurent
Building XML Applications
Cookies / Sharing Bandwidth