RE: Mechanism, not policy [was: Attribute uniqueness...]

Tim Berners-Lee wrote:

> >You may _wish_ the namespace to be the resource identified by the
> >namespace name considered as a URI, but in general (and probably
> >always) that is not the case. I see no way that the namespace
> >mechanism could possibly be altered to make it the case.
>

> I think it only requires you to say, "Ok, a namespace
> is a form of resource" and we are clear.   I have given 2 suggestions for
> changing the wording of the namespace spec.

OK,

one rational for this discussion is that you feel there should be a
straightforward way to associate a namespace with a resource, and obviously
the *easiest* way to do this would be to overload the namespace name with
this functionality. However, this is not what the namespace recommendation
said in the first place, so the choice is

a) change the namespace recommendation or

b) define a different mechanism for this (as has been suggested several
times).

a) is the simple way, but it breaks those documents where the author
selected the URI ref on the assumption that it just needs to be unique, but
does not necessarily have to do something with the namespace itself.

b) requires more work, but no changes to existing specs, code or documents.

Julian