Re: The 'resource' identified by a namespace name URI should be the namespace

Julian Reschke wrote:

> > Paul W. Abrahams wrote:
> > > How would you define "expected" names?
> >
> > I wouldn't.  I'd put something into Namespaces Revised, probably
> > in a non-normative
> > appendix, that would say how different kinds of URIs might be
> > used in other
> > contexts, or not used at all.  For instance, a mailto URI
> > wouldn't be useful for
> > retrieving a schema.
>
> But then there is nothing in the namespace REC which would indicate that the
> namespace URI is supposed to be useful to retrieve a schema.

What the namespace spec now says is: "It is not a goal that [the namespace
name] be directly usable for retrieval of a schema (if any exists)."   That
seems to say the opposite: that the namespace URI is not expected to be useful
in retrieving a schema, even though (this is the implication) some people might
expect it to do so.

Paul Abrahams