Re: namespaces include their name => 1-1

-----Original Message-----
From: John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
To: Larry Masinter <masinter@attlabs.att.com>; xml-uri@w3.org
<xml-uri@w3.org>
Date: Friday, June 02, 2000 12:30 PM
Subject: Re: namespaces include their name => 1-1

>Larry Masinter wrote:
>
>> Namespaces aren't just any old resource. One of the properties of
>> namespaces is that the definition of a namespace includes its namespace
>> name. This means that there are many URIs that are *inappropriate*
>> for use as namespace names, because they don't actually match the
>> namespace name given in the namespace definition.

That works with schemas too as they have a way of saying "this schema
defines ....".
But you have given Clark his injective function.

John wrote, as what seemed a non sequitur, but never mind:
>Only on the assumption (for which there seems to be absolutely no
>warrant) that just because the namespace name has the syntax of a
>URI reference, the URI of the namespace is necessarily that same
>URI reference or an absolutized (RFC-2396-resolved) version of it.

Fortunately I do not have to make the assumption  (for which there seems to
be absolutely no
warrant)  that just because your email had a string of characters which
happened to match the syntax of that sentence that you don't actually
necessrily mean anything of the sort. Otherwise I would be worried...