fundamental differences? (again) (was The 'resource')

At 10:57 PM 6/2/00 -0400, Tim Berners-Lee wrote:
>This is the difference of vocabulary I mentioned in my earlier reply.
>
>You could theoretically say equally well
>a) namespaces are URIs, and namespace sameness is string-equality.
>b) namespaces are resources, and "sameness" of namespaces is string-equality
>of the corresponding URI.
>

>The second is the vocabulary in use on this list. The first would confuse
>everyone (at least me) very much!

Actually, I think the first is the vocabulary much more widely used and
promoted in every forum but this one.  I'd never even contemplated the
latter usage, except in a limited RDF context, until the relative
namespaces issue arose.

As I noted in the 'fundamental differences' thread, that may be the source
of confusion, and a large issue that needs addressing by a consensus process.

Simon St.Laurent
Building XML Applications
Cookies / Sharing Bandwidth
http://www.simonstl.com