Re: a personal conclusion.....

On Fri, Jun 02, 2000 at 05:13:51PM -0400, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
> At 04:54 PM 6/2/00 -0400, Michael Mealling wrote:
> >Rev XML to 2.0, make it axiomatic that anything that remotely looks like a
> >name or an address be an "absoluteURI" according to the 2396 ABNF. Don't
> make
> >it required that it be resolved in order to be parsed but make it so that
> >NOTHING (sans things like not being connected to the network, not having
> paid
> >for it, etc) can make it so that the URI can't be resolved if something
> above
> >it so desires.
>
> That'll require a revision to 2396, I think, as XML documents may come from
> situations where there is no base URI whatsoever.

Huh? I said 'absoluteURI', not uriReference. 'absoluteURI' doesn't
need a base since it specifically disallows relative URIs....

> Maybe XML 2.0 could
> define a canonical base for such cases without revising 2396, but I'm not
> (personally) sure the axioms hold up or make sense in the context of
> document processing anyway.

Then, IMHO (and  its very humble) the document processing shoudl change,
not the axioms...

> I'm also not sure XML 2.0 is worth considering until the world's had more
> time with 1.0, and I don't like the solution presented above, but I
> certainly hope that these issues will get a full hearing in any further
> development of XML.

Its my hope that XML 2.0 be defined in such a way as to depend on the web
as its base of concepts, not the other way around....

> (If XML 2.0 is any more complicated than XML 1.0, and I expect it will be,
> don't be surprised if it gets the same treatment SGML got from XML, and
> subsets rule.)

Which is fine. The web can use 2.0, those things not wanting to adhere
to the web's axioms can use 1.0....

-MM

Michael Mealling	|      Vote Libertarian!       | www.rwhois.net/michael
Sr. Research Engineer   |   www.ga.lp.org/gwinnett     | ICQ#:         14198821