Re: Injective Quality (Was: Re: URIs quack like a duck)

Tim Berners-Lee wrote:

> It happens that the relative URI-references have the property of
> invariance under the opeartion of making a copy in a new space
> of a set of resources which only have links between them.
> And I agree that people use that a whole lot.  But that is a very
> specific operation. And the resulting links are to new resources,
> not to the old ones, so there was no identity preserved.

Well, consider sharing (via links or symlinks or multiple servers)
rather than copying  What then?

> Our own recommendation. A lot of people worked on it and a lot of people
> missed the creeping inconsistency.
> Many people have propoes on this list and others deprocating relative
> URIs for namespaces. If you do that then string comparison can be
> done with or without absolutizing.  i can't see any other way out of this
> mess.

Deprecating is not enough for the Infoset, which has to have definite
answers.

--

Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis um dies! || John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>