Re: [XML-URI] HTTP extensions framework comparison

At 20:29 18/07/00 -0700, Henrik Frystyk Nielsen wrote:
> > The Http Extensions Framework (RFC 2774) has an identification
> > mechanism similar to XML Namespaces.
>
>You are right that it is very similar in intent but as you say, HTTP-EF
>doesn't allow relative URIs and it is certainly the intent that it uses
>the comparison algorithm described in the HTTP/1.1 spec, see
>
>     http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec3.html#sec3.2.3

I just skimmed RFC 2774, and I don't think it mandates the use of http
URIs; so I take your statement to mean that, when an application is
searching extension declarations for something it knows how to process, it
must use the comparison rules in RFC 2616 if it is looking for http URI
names, and literal comparison otherwise.

Are you advocating this as a general rule for saying whether two URIs name
the same resource, or just for comparison for the purposes of RFC
2774?  Either way, it seems odd to require processors to have special
knowledge of the http scheme in this way.

(Whether two URIs yield the same data if dereferenced is, of course, a
different question).
--
Cheers,
John