an XML-URI Activity Proposal for discussion

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 12:46:43 -0500
To: xml-uri@w3.org
Following on from...

"In the long term, we believe most people would agree, the consortium
needs a clear and coherent approach to the complex of problems of
which the 'relative-URI-reference-in-NS-declaration' problem is a
visible example.  In the short term, we need an approach that everyone
can live with, that avoids foreclosing later long-term solutions as
far as is possible, and that will allow the various specs now in limbo
to move forward."

	-- moving toward a decision C. M. Sperberg-McQueen (Mon, Jul 03 2000)

I have seen dissatisfaction expressed by at least a few participants...
that we spent so much time discussing these issues, and the proposal
actually answers so few questions.

I share that dissatisfaction, and it is for that reason that
I hope not only that the short-term proposal is adopted, but also
that this xml-uri discussion can continue with proper mandate
and shared expectations about scope and duration.

The way we establish mandate etc. at W3C is by creating an activity.

Toward that end, I give you:

	XML-URI Activity Proposal

	DRAFT ONLY, for discussion in xml-uri
	possibly to proposed to the W3C Membership
	by TimBL, Dan Connolly