Namespace of the xmlns Attribute

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 18:27:05 +1100
To: xml-names-editor@w3.org

Hi,
   Is the xmlns attribute supposed to be put into the
http://www.w3.org/2000/xmlns/ namespace, just like other attributes with
the xmlns: prefix, or into no namespace like any other attribute without
a prefix?

The spec states [1]:
| The prefix xmlns is used only to declare namespace bindings and is by
| definition bound to the namespace name http://www.w3.org/2000/xmlns/.

That seems to indicate that only those with the prefix do, but I've
found 3 implementations, including Firefox, Opera and the SAX parser
[2], that all put it into that namespace without a prefix.

So, is my reading of the spec correct and all 3 of these implementations
non-conforming, even though they seem to be interoperable on this issue;
or are the implementations correct?

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xml-names-20060816/#xmlReserved
[2]
http://www.saxproject.org/apidoc/org/xml/sax/helpers/NamespaceSupport.html