Re: Namespaces in XML 1.x test suite contribution

From: Richard Tobin <richard@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 16:11:09 +0000 (GMT)
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>, xml-names-editor@w3.org
Cc: public-xml-testsuite@w3.org

>   I'm pleased to contribute the following test documents to the XML test
> suite:

Presumably that's not what you really mean.

>   * <xml:foo/>

This document is uncontroversial I think.  The document is well-formed
but uses a reserved element name, which is unwise.

>   * <xmlns:foo/>

http://www.w3.org/XML/xml-names-19990114-errata#NE05 says:

  The prefix xmlns is used only to declare namespace bindings

(and Namespaces 1.1 says the same).  This should be changed to use "MUST".

>   * <foo xmlns='http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace'/>
>   * <foo xmlns='http://www.w3.org/2000/xmlns/'/>

NE05 should be changed to add to disallow the use of these namespace
names as the default namespace.

-- Richard