Re: Fwd: Re: [jdom-interest] Namespace issues, et al.

From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 23:35:31 -0800
To: malachi@tremerechantry.com
Cc: xml-names-editor@w3.org

Malachi de AElfweald wrote:
> I am confused. No such thing as a null namespace? But the document
> (that lists you as Editor) says " The namespace name for an unprefixed
> attribute name is always null. "

Hmm... I'm not actually in the editing loop on this version, but I agree
that that language is a bit confusing.  The namespaces rec describes a
condition called "being in a namespace" and gives methods for putting
elements and attributes in namespaces.  The only way for an attribute to
be in any namespace at all is for it to have a prefix.  No prefix, no
namespace.  I'm not sure what they mean by "null namespace" but now I'll
review the language and perhaps comment.

> Regarding the xhtml part... are you saying that the only way to make it
> "correct"
> would be <a xhtml:href="http://blah">link</a> ??? Cuz, that isn't what
> any of the
> examples show.

No, in fact, in XHTML, the "a" element is in the xhtml namespace, but
its href attribute isn't in any namespace.  So <xhtml:a href="foo"> is
perfectly correct.  -Tim