Re: [xml-dev] thinking about "namespace pedantry"

From: Jonathan Borden <jonathan@openhealth.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 15:56:27 -0400
To: <michael.h.kay@ntlworld.com>, "'james anderson'" <james.anderson@setf.de>, <xml-names-editor@w3.org>
Cc: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>

Message Michael Kay wrote:
[[
 > in summary, the "namespaces in xml" recommendation's specifications with
regard to "names
> which are not in any namespace" are unnecessarily and unreasonably
paradoxical.

Absolutely. James Clark got round this quite neatly in XPath 1.0, I think,
by referring to the "thing that is not a namespace" as "the null namespace".
We need a name for it, and we can use that phrase without having to agree on
whether the thing is or is not a namespace.
]]

"Collection of unqualified names" ?

Jonathan