Inappropriate use of XML Namespaces in XQuery, XPath 2.0 and XSLT 2.0?

From: <Svgdeveloper@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2003 04:11:03 EDT
To: xml-names-editor@w3.org, public-qt-comments@w3.org
In the various draft XQuery, XPath 2.0 and XSLT 2.0 documents it is indicated
that datatypes and functions are contained in designated XML namespaces. A
similar seeming error made in W3C XML Schema is also carried forward into the
XQuery/XPath/XSLT2 documents.

This seems to me to be in conflict with the Namespaces in XML 1.0
Recommendation which defines an XML namespace as applying to element type names and
attribute names. There is no provision that I can see in the Namespaces in XML Rec
for datatype or function names being part of an "XML namespace".

Correcting this seeming discrepancy should be straightforward but it seems to
me that it needs to be tidied.

Andrew Watt