Qnames, Resolving Namespace declarations (WAS: Re: Are *relative* URIs as namespace names considered harmful?)

From: Manos Batsis <m.batsis@bsnet.gr>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 12:44:10 +0200
To: <xml-names-editor@w3.org>

Hi folks,

Please observe the following ns declarations. I was wondering if this is
valid (syntactically that is) and what is the actual interpretation of
URIs in the following declaration.

My understanding is that the syntax below conforms to any XML/XML
Namespaces/URI notation rules such as escaping.

This could solve some relative URI problems, but my original intention
-among other things- was to apply semantics to namespaces as a layer
enabling easier automated processing rules for ontologies. This might be
extremely useful in RDF. Note that It's not really the syntax that
concerns me inside the xmlns attributes but their intended
functionality:

<ns1:root xmlns:ns1="http://www.myOrg.org/ns/2002/"
  xmlns:ns1.1="ns1:foo1.xsd#"
     xmlns:ns1.1.1="[ ns1.1:typeID
                      | ns1.1:XPointer(id(&apos;typeName&apos;)])">

Kindest regards,

Manos