Re: FW: XML Query WG Feedback on Sept WD of Namespaces in XML 1.1

From: Richard Tobin <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 23:22:40 GMT
To: John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>, mrys@microsoft.com (Michael Rys)
Cc: pgrosso@arbortext.com (Paul Grosso), Michael.Kay@softwareag.com (Kay Michael), w3c-xml-core-wg@w3.org (XML Core WG), w3c-xml-query-wg@w3.org, xml-names-editor@w3.org

> > 1. XML 1.1 describes a true superset of XML 1.0
>
> The set of possible XML 1.1 documents is not quite a superset of the set
> of XML 1.0 documents, but the differences are lexical and don't show through
> at the Infoset level.

Am I right in thinking that Michael Rys wants it to be a superset
so that one can always serialize a 1.0 or 1.1 infoset as 1.1?  Rather
than having to look at the infoset to see what it can be serialized as?

In any case, I think this is an issue for the revised Infoset spec,
not XML 1.1 or Namespaces 1.1.

-- Richard