RE: FW: XML Query WG Feedback on Sept WD of Namespaces in XML 1.1

From: Richard Tobin <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 15:41:42 GMT
To: Paul Grosso <pgrosso@arbortext.com>, "Kay, Michael" <Michael.Kay@softwareag.com>
Cc: XML Core WG <w3c-xml-core-wg@w3.org>, w3c-xml-query-wg@w3.org, xml-names-editor@w3.org

> >At some stage we need to invert this whole edifice: the InfoSet data model
> >should be the primary specification, and the XML and Namespaces specs
> >(hopefully merged) should merely describe one possible interface for
> >creating an InfoSet.

> Many people agree with you here.

I think there's a general expectation that the specs will be merged
sooner or later, but Michael is asking for something much more
controversial than that: making the Infoset primary with XML as just
one syntax.  There is a substantial constituency (see xml-dev, passim)
who would be *very* strongly opposed to that, taking the view that
standardization of syntax is XML's key strength.

And if we were to go down that road, I don't see the Infoset as a good
generic data model to base it on.

-- Richard