RE: FW: XML Query WG Feedback on Sept WD of Namespaces in XML 1.1

From: Kay, Michael <Michael.Kay@softwareag.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 13:02:48 +0100
To: Richard Tobin <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>, Michael Rys <mrys@microsoft.com>
Cc: w3c-xml-query-wg@w3.org, w3c-core-wg@w3.org, xml-names-editor@w3.org

> Infosets produced by parsing XML 1.1 documents will have the
> [version] property of the document information item set to
> 1.1 (we don't even need an amendment to the Infoset spec for that).
>
> > (Note that this is not relevant to Namespaces 1.1 but XML 1.1).
>
> I think it should really be considered a comment on the
> Infoset revision.

I guess I'm not going to persuade anyone, but I think it is really
unfortunate that the Core WG has decided to update the XML and Namespaces
specs without making them reference the Infoset normatively. The result is a
missed opportunity to clear up the confusion as to what parts of an XML
document are information-bearing and what parts are not.

At some stage we need to invert this whole edifice: the InfoSet data model
should be the primary specification, and the XML and Namespaces specs
(hopefully merged) should merely describe one possible interface for
creating an InfoSet.

Michael Kay