Re: FW: XML Query WG Feedback on Sept WD of Namespaces in XML 1.1

From: Richard Tobin <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 10:00:46 GMT
To: "Michael Rys" <mrys@microsoft.com>
Cc: <w3c-xml-query-wg@w3.org>, w3c-core-wg@w3.org, xml-names-editor@w3.org

> I think that this is not enough. We requested that "The namespace spec
> should say how namespace declarations should map ONTO the Infoset" which
> means that the infoset contributions of the namespace declarations
> should be made clear.

We disagree.  The Infoset spec describes how namespace declarations
map onto the Infoset, and will be updated to handle the new prefix
undeclarations.

> Since this would mean that a data model will not have a way to
> distinguish v1.1 and v1.0 subtrees and may foster expectations that
> users can freely mix XML 1.1 and 1.0 documents.

Infosets produced by parsing XML 1.1 documents will have the [version]
property of the document information item set to 1.1 (we don't even
need an amendment to the Infoset spec for that).

> (Note that this is not relevant to Namespaces 1.1 but XML 1.1).

I think it should really be considered a comment on the Infoset
revision.

-- Richard