RE: last call comments, usage of IRI rather than URI

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 16:26:54 +0100
To: "Paul Grosso" <pgrosso@arbortext.com>, "Richard Tobin" <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
Cc: <www-tag@w3.org>, <xml-names-editor@w3.org>

Core WG's
> resolution of your Last Call comment and (2) in what capacity

Yes.

I'm objecting to a change of valid namespace names which is known to
adversely affect existing XML applications such as XML Schema (namespace
location attribute) and JAXP (expanded name escaping). This issue could
*probably* solved by explicitly forbidding those ASCII characters in
namespace names which have been forbidden in URIs as well (notably the space
character, "{" and "}").

I'm also objecting to the approach to adopt a not-yet-precisely-defined
syntactic construct as normative part of the spec. Informally, as the XML
Core WG itself has voiced doubts about some aspects of the IRI draft (space
characters, and if I remember correctly upper/lowercase of %-escaping), I'd
like the XML Core WG to push for changes in this area of the IRI spec.

> (i.e., what W3C working group, W3C member organization, other liaison or
user
> organization or individual opinion) you make such an objection so that we
can
> properly reflect this in our CR request.

I'm objecting in my role as individual (implementing components based on W3C
recommendations)

Regards, Julian