Namespaces and DTD?

From: John Stracke <francis@thibault.org>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 19:13:36 -0400
To: xml-names-editor@w3.org
I'm looking at the XML Namespaces spec, and I'm trying to
understand how namespaces interact with the DTD
(specifically, the internal subset).  The problem is that,
although I see that names in the <!DOCTYPE> can be qualified
names, I don't see how the prefixes they use can be
defined.  The <!DOCTYPE> isn't an element, nor is it inside
any element, so it can't pick up any xmlns= or xmlns:
declarations.

I hope I'm missing something here.  :-)

Thanks for your time.

--