Request to advance xenc to PR

From: Joseph Reagle <reagle@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 16:19:05 -0400
To: Steve Bratt <steve@w3.org>, "Tim Berners-Lee" <timbl@w3.org>
Cc: chairs@w3.org, xenc <xml-encryption@w3.org>

Steve,

I'm requesting that xenc [1,2] advance to Proposed Recommendation. ([3]
still indicates the Director must be present and doesn't mention COO, but I
don't think this requires Tim's attention and I've reviewed these issues
with him regardless.)

XML Encryption Syntax and Processing [1]
- this has been solid/stable for a long time.
- we have four interop reports [4].
- no open substantive issues [5].
- we have reports of satisfactory performance and that it works in an
application context [6].
- Tim has requested that we keep the media type registration in the spec,
which we will do.

Decryption Transform for XML Signature

- This did undergo some changes prior to the second CR, but we haven't had
any adverse feedback since it's publication and we have two interop
reports.
- The only issue was the question of whether this specification (an optional
feature for using XML Encryption/Decryption as an XML Signature Transform)
required one or two implementations of optional full XPointer support in
its references. We decided [7] since full XPointers were permitted in
xmldsig (and this is an xmldsig transform), one implementation was
sufficient.

[1] http://www.w3.org/Encryption/2001/Drafts/xmlenc-core/
[2] http://www.w3.org/Encryption/2001/Drafts/xmlenc-decrypt
[3] http://www.w3.org/Guide/StartReview.html