Re: Draft registration for application/xenc+xml

On Friday 24 May 2002 14:39, Arjun Ray wrote:
> Joseph Reagle <reagle@w3.org> wrote:
> | I've attached a draft of an ietf-draft for a application/xenc+xml media
> | type registration.
>
> Why a Content-Type and not a Content-Transfer-Encoding?  An "XENC
> application" is likely to be a helper or a filter, no?

Arjun, the simple answer is because I'm a media-type newbie and following [1] and some
examples, I don't see any indication a Content-Transfer-Encoding should be
specified as part of the application. I note [2], but I expect any
application that is sending XML over 7bit lines will do whatever is
necessary...? What are you suggesting?

[1] http://ietf.org/rfc//rfc2048.txt
[2] http://ietf.org/rfc/rfc2045.txt
6.  Content-Transfer-Encoding Header Field    Many media types which could
be usefully transported via email are
   represented, in their "natural" format, as 8bit character or binary
   data.  Such data cannot be transmitted over some transfer protocols.
   For example, RFC 821 (SMTP) restricts mail messages to 7bit US-ASCII
   data with lines no longer than 1000 characters including any trailing
   CRLF line separator.    It is necessary, therefore, to define a standard
   mechanism for
   encoding such data into a 7bit short line format.  Proper labelling
   of unencoded material in less restrictive formats for direct use over
   less restrictive transports is also desireable.  This document
   specifies that such encodings will be indicated by a new "Content-
   Transfer-Encoding" header field.  This field has not been defined by
   any previous standard.