Re: rsa/oaep

From: Takeshi Imamura <IMAMU@jp.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 15:26:54 +0900
To: merlin <merlin@baltimore.ie>
Cc: xml-encryption@w3.org

Hi Merlin,

I interpret "mgf1p" as MGF1 with the hash function specified by the
DigestMethod element.

From: merlin <merlin@baltimore.ie>@w3.org on 2002/03/01 08:33

Sent by:  xml-encryption-request@w3.org

To:   xml-encryption@w3.org
Subject:  rsa/oaep

Our RSA/OAEP algorithm is http://www.w3.org/2001/04/xmlenc#rsa-oaep-mgf1p
with inputs of a digest algorithm and OAEP parameters.

By "mgf1p", do we mean MGF1 with SHA-1, or MGF1 with the same hash
function used by EME-OAEP-ENCODE (i.e., the DigestMethod parameter)?
In RFC 2437, the MGF1 and EME-OAEP-ENCODE hash functions are
independently specified, which might imply that we should separate
them? Should we move to #rsa-oaep-mgf1-sha1. Also, where does the
"p" in "mgf1p" come from? I can't seem to search the archives at
the moment to find the original discussions.

Apologies if I'm missing something obvious.

Baltimore Technologies plc will not be liable for direct,  special,
or consequential  damages  arising  from  alteration of  the contents of

computer viruses.