Re: W3C Encryption Support for DES, RC2, and RC4 Symmetric Encryptio n Algorithms

      Joseph:

      IMHO any use of these new algorithms should go into Don's URI draft
rather than the base specification.  There's no reason to slow down the
xenc spec for this.

            Tom Gindin

Joseph Reagle <reagle@w3.org> on 06/19/2002 12:49:27 PM

Please respond to reagle@w3.org

To:    Tom Gindin/Watson/IBM@IBMUS, Christian Geuer-Pollmann
       <geuer-pollmann@nue.et-inf.uni-siegen.de>, Takeshi
       Imamura/Japan/IBM@IBMJP
cc:    Donald Eastlake 3rd <dee3@torque.pothole.com>, "Ahmed, Zahid"
       <zahid.ahmed@commerceone.com>, "'xml-encryption@w3.org'"
       <xml-encryption@w3.org>, "'blaird@microsoft.com'"
       <blaird@microsoft.com>, "Sanfilippo, Joe"
       <joe.sanfilippo@commerceone.com>
Subject:    Re: W3C Encryption Support for DES, RC2, and RC4 Symmetric
       Encryptio n Algorithms

On Wednesday 19 June 2002 12:36 pm, Tom Gindin wrote:
>       Do you still think that it's dubious to have password-based
> encryption algorithms in the specification?  Everybody may wish to take
> note that PKCS#5 is currently being modified to include AES, RC6, SHA256,
> SHA384, and SHA512, but that the official standard does not yet include
> those algorithms.

I'm not soliciting any additional algorithms or functionality. I feel we're

in a "finish it up" phase and the present discussion with respect to the
spec is to ensure that we satifactorily meet our requirements (i.e., dsig
working with xenc).