Re: Decryption Transform processing question

On Monday 15 July 2002 03:27 pm, merlin wrote:
> The Foo element is an apex node of the signed node set and so when the
> decrypt transform performs c14n-with-replacement, it inherits xml:lang.
> Later on, this is encrypted:
>
>   <Document xml:lang="ie">
>     <EncryptedData Id="foo-1" [[<Foo Id="foo-1" />]] />
>     <Signature xmlns="&dsig;"> ...
>       <Reference URI="#foo-1"> ...
>       <Transform Algorithm="&decrypt;XML" /> ...
>     </Signature>
>   </Document>
>
> Now, when we do the c14n-with-replacement within the decrypt
> transform, the Foo element will not inherit xml:lang correctly
> because it is in a different document; as a result, the signature
> will break. So we need that patch text.

Yes, I remember this from our discussion from on the dsig list re:exc-c14n.
(I was confused for a bit because I forgot that the Foo element is a
different document, and consequently doesn't inherit xml:lang ). However, I
also remember not trying to entangle the encryption processing with a given
c14n algorithm, but if we had to, we should choose exc-c14n. As it stands,
if you add these attributes to an exc-c14n you'll break it. (Right?)
Consequently, given that we created exc-c14n because c14n was bad at
serializing fragments that change documents/context, I see no reason to
address extra processing for c14n. If folks want the xmldsig decryption
transform, they should use exc-c14n-like signatures -- if that does the
trick.