Re: Encrypting the IV - again. Was: Re: nonce length

From: Joseph Reagle <reagle@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 17:54:47 -0500
To: Christian Geuer-Pollmann <geuer-pollmann@nue.et-inf.uni-siegen.de>, "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <dee3@torque.pothole.com>
Cc: Dan Lanz <lanz@zolera.com>, xml-encryption@w3.org, blaird@microsoft.com
On Monday 28 January 2002 17:09, Christian Geuer-Pollmann wrote:
> Well, it seems to me that I do not need obvious facts to introduce
> necessary changes into the spec but well-known names ;-((

Hi Christian, I'm not advocating that necessarily, nor that we just need a
reference in order to accept it. In fact, I'm not opposed to encrypting the
IV. I'm just saying that I prefer that *this* WG not take it upon itself to
introduce a "new mode". I'm most comfortable if the issue has
been addressed by others and it's been vetted/discussed/standardized, etc.
That's that.

So, what do others people think? Should we encrypt the IV? (If so, we'll do
it.)