Re: Data replacement

From: Takeshi Imamura <IMAMU@jp.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 16:43:14 +0900
To: reagle@w3.org
Cc: xml-encryption@w3.org

Hi Joseph,

>> What does "data is an 'element' or element 'content'" mean?  To my
>> understanding, it means the type of the serialized version of data is
>> 'element' or element 'content', but is it right?  If yes, step 5.1:
>
>I argue that data of that type is a sequence of characters matching the
BNF
>productions [39/43] from the XML 1.0 specification. This would not mean
>they have to already be serialized in a particular encoding, as the spec
>says, *after* you've identified them as such *then* you "obtain the octets
>by serializing".

So, it seems to me that the sentence in step 3.1:

If the data is an 'element' [XML, section 3] or element 'content' [XML,
section 3.1], obtain the octets by serializing the data in UTF-8 as
specified in [XML].

means an element or element content is always serialized in UTF-8 as
specified in XML and precludes other serializations.  That is still
limiting...

imamu@jp.ibm.com