Re: IV (some input for you)

> (Don, what did you mean by, "by including an algorithm dependent length."
> That sentence seems to be missing something.)

<ORIGINAL version="1.111">
This attack can be avoided by securing the integrity of the plain text
data, for example by signing it, or, for most such algorithms, by including
an algorithm dependent length. A nonce at least as long as the block for
CBC chaining block encryption algorithms may be adequate.
</ORIGINAL>

<SUGGESTION>
This attack can be avoided by securing the integrity of the plain text
data, for example by signing it.
</SUGGESTION>

The "algorithm dependent length" was about the length of a prepended Nonce.
As I demonstrated in [1], if the Nonce is a multiple of the block length
(which included 'as long as the block length'), the complete plaintext of
following block can be modified in a defined manner. If tou use a block
cipher in CBC mode and really use a Nonce, the only chance is to choose the
length=blocklength-1.

Christian

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-encryption/2002Jan/0026.html