RE: content type decryption clarification?

From: Christian Geuer-Pollmann <geuer-pollmann@nue.et-inf.uni-siegen.de>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 10:45:59 +0100
To: Takeshi Imamura <IMAMU@jp.ibm.com>, hirsch@zolera.com
Cc: reagle@w3.org, xml-encryption@w3.org
> If the first "plaintext" in the text means, as you say, a whole document,
> I can understand this case.  But the text should be changed to something
> like:
>
> Note: If the Type is "content", the document resulting from decryption
> will not be well-formed if (a) the original fragment was not well-formed
> (e.g., PCDATA by itself is not well-formed), and (b) the EncryptedData
> element was the root element of the document.)

I never understand the (b) point. Why is it a problem if the EncryptedData
is the root of a Document? After decryption, the decrypted content is
placed into the document and replaces EncryptedData. If the decrypted
contents contain exactly one Element and no non-whitespace-characted-data,
it can be parsed (and replace the original EncryptedData).

Or do I miss a point?

Christian