RE: content type decryption clarification?

From: Takeshi Imamura <IMAMU@jp.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 13:12:37 +0900
To: <hirsch@zolera.com>
Cc: <reagle@w3.org>, "Christian Geuer-Pollmann" <geuer-pollmann@nue.et-inf.uni-siegen.de>, <xml-encryption@w3.org>

>I think an XML document with only an EncryptedDataElement as the root can
>result in a non-well-formed document as follows
>
>By decrypting in place you produce a new document without a root element
>This is possible if content was encrypted that did not contain an element
as
>the outmost part.
>
>I see your point - the original was not well formed either. So this is
>another example of moving an XML fragment to produce an non well-formed
>document.

If the first "plaintext" in the text means, as you say, a whole document, I
can understand this case.  But the text should be changed to something
like:

Note: If the Type is "content", the document resulting from decryption will
not be well-formed if (a) the original fragment was not well-formed (e.g.,
PCDATA by itself is not well-formed), and (b) the EncryptedData element was
the root element of the document.)

How do you feel?

imamu@jp.ibm.com