Transforms on Ciphertext (Was: block encryption algorithm padding)

From: Joseph Reagle <reagle@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 17:05:45 -0400
To: merlin <merlin@baltimore.ie>
Cc: aleksey@aleksey.com, Joseph Ashwood <ashwood@msn.com>, xml-encryption@w3.org
On Friday 12 April 2002 16:34, merlin wrote:
> I do think it is a pity that we don't
> support transforms on the ciphertext; a compression transform could
> address this problem. However, I know that this was discussed and
> discarded very early.

As an aside on your aside, while we didn't specify  a transform process
(folks didn't think it worth the complexity) I believe nested XML and the
CipherData type can accommodate simple transforms [1]. This is completely
orthogonal (and consequently, even if it was OPTIONAL in the spec it would
be easier to get interop) but is theoretically possible.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-encryption/2002Feb/0017.html