  From: Blair Dillaway
  To: xml-encryption@w3.org
  Sent: Friday, April 05, 2002 12:34 PM
  Subject: Re: EncryptionMethod in XMLEnc and SignatureMethod in XMLDSig

  While it might be nice to have a consistent treatment of EncryptionMethod and SignatureMethod in the schemas, I think its more important to have stable specifications for XML Signature and XML Encryption at this point. So I am not in favor of changing the schema for either of these elements.

  I do agree with Merlin's argument about fragility of signed or encrypted documents when the algorithms are omitted. I expect most applications will include the xxxMethod element to explicitly identify the algorithm. Still, there are folks who will use these for applications (like messaging systems) where they will be concerned about how many bytes of overhead are required. So I lean toward having these be optional.

  Blair