Re: Minor comments on Section 4

From: Takeshi Imamura <IMAMU@jp.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 23:59:12 +0900
To: reagle@w3.org
Cc: xml-encryption@w3.org

Joseph,

>> In Section 4.2, step 1,
>>
>> >Parse the application identified EncryptedType
>> >element to determine the algorithm, parameters and
>> >ds:KeyInfo element to be used. If some information is
>> >omitted, the application must supply it.
>>
>> Because we already do not care whether the input to this step is an
octet
>> sequence, "parsing an EncryptedType element" is not always correct and
>> should be revised to another expression.
>
>"EncryptedType element" is not supposed to indicate the type of the
>plaintext, but either the EncryptedData or EncryptedKey elements, I will
>tweak:
>
>4.2 Decryption
>For each EncryptedType derived element, (i.e., EncryptedData or
>EncryptedKey), to be decrypted :
>
>1. Parse the element to determine the algorithm, parameters and ds:KeyInfo
>element to be used. If some information is omitted, the application must
>supply it.

I'm sorry for confusing you.  My question is whether the word "parse" is
appropriate for this case.  To my mind, the word is to process an octet
sequence with an XML processor, that is, divide the octet sequence into
tokens and determine their structure.  In this case, however, the input
could be also a node-set, DOM tree, SAX event sequence, and so forth, which
have been already parsed.  So I don't think that the word fits this case.
I'm not a native English speaker, so I may not be correct. But how do you
feel?

imamu@jp.ibm.com