Re: Minutes of 010910-teleconf

From: merlin <merlin@baltimore.ie>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 11:24:51 +0100
To: reagle@w3.org
Cc: XML Encryption WG <xml-encryption@w3.org>

Just to clarify, my understanding of Amir's digest requirement is:

. To create a document with multiple encrypted parts.
. To include a digest of the plaintext part in each EncryptedData.
. To compute a signature over these digests.

The purpose of this is that you can validate the signature
fully, and then selectively validate individual plaintexts
depending on your needs.

I would suggest that this requirement is satisfied by
XML signature manifests and our decryption transform:

. Create a document with multiple encrypted parts.
. Create a manifest containing a reference to each EncryptedData
  processed by our decryption transform.
. Create a signature over this manifest.

This signature can be fully validated without exposing all the
plaintext, and then manifest references can be selectively
validated as needed.

This seems to satisfy the requirement and it uses existing
capabilities of the existing specs[*].

* Our decryption transform does not currently support non-XML
ciphertext.

Merlin

r/reagle@w3.org/2001.09.10/14:42:46

>http://www.w3.org/Encryption/2001/Minutes/010910-tele.html

In addition, certain Marketing collateral may be added from time to time to
promote Baltimore Technologies products, services, Global e-Security or
appearance at trade shows and conferences.

computer viruses.
   http://www.baltimore.com