Password Based Encryption for RSA Keys

From: Dournaee, Blake <bdournaee@rsasecurity.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 13:27:58 -0700
To: xml-encryption@w3.org
Hi All,

It seems to me that XML Encryption does not have a facility to encrypt
RSA/DSA Private Keys using password-based encryption. E.g. There is no
replacement for what is currently a PKCS#8 "EncryptedPrivateKeyInfo"
structure (to use the ASN.1 terminology)

Currently, there is no XML representation of such an encrypted construct,
which is very odd because this form of encrypted data is especially
"user-friendly" because it is unlocked with a password.

Any ideas on this? Or perhaps it was decided against for some good reason?

Blake Dournaee
Toolkit Applications Engineer
RSA Security

"The only thing I know is that I know nothing" - Socrates