RE: Key Derivation Functions for DH key agreement

From: Amir Herzberg <AMIR@newgenpay.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 17:21:06 +0200
To: "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <dee3@torque.pothole.com>
Cc: <xml-encryption@w3.org>
Hi Don,

> At your request I've already moved the keying material
> generation algorithm from being quasi-globally specified to being
> specified at the same level as the DH algorithm.

Sorry - I looked at http://www.w3.org/2001/04/xmlenc instead of
http://www.w3.org/Encryption/2001/Drafts/xmlenc-core/. You are correct,
you already did this. Sorry!

I definitely did not mean that we need necessarily to use a different
identifier to the derivation vs. the key agreement - viewing the
derivation as part of the key agreement is fine.

> How about if we just change the URI for that to be
> http://www.w3.org/2001/04/xmlenc#dh-kmgen1 or something, like we have
> http://www.w3.org/2001/04/xmlenc#rsa-oaep-mgf1p. I would prefer fewer
> lengthly W3C style URI rather than more.

I think you suggest to use http://www.w3.org/2001/04/xmlenc#dh-kmgen1
instead of http://www.w3.org/2001/04/xmlenc#dh. It's not critical, but a
good idea, just for avoiding confusion (after all this is not `pure`
DH).

Sorry again - my note was purely out of looking at the old version.

Best, Amir