Re: Decryption Transform

Joseph M. Reagle Jr. wrote:

> For example, Alice wishes to order and pay for a book from Bob using the
> mutually trusted payment system ZipPay. Bob creates an order form
> including the book title, price and his account info. He wants to sign
> all of this information, but will subsequently encrypt his account info
> for ZipPay only.

So far so good.

> He sends this to Alice who affirms the book title and
> price, signs the form

Now on your "sign only what is seen" principle, shouldn't Alice sign the
title and price only?  Then we have a signature covering the
whole plaintext document, and another covering part of the plaintext
document.  ZipPay can decrypt Bob's info and then verify both
signatures: no need for verify-decrypt-verify, although of course that
will work as well.

--
There is / one art             || John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
no more / no less              || http://www.reutershealth.com