Re: Decryption Transform

From: Joseph M. Reagle Jr. <reagle@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 11:42:13 -0400
To: John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
Cc: imamu@jp.ibm.com, maruyama@jp.ibm.com, xml-encryption@w3.org
At 16:18 6/29/2001, John Cowan wrote:
>Now on your "sign only what is seen" principle, shouldn't Alice sign the
>title and price only?  Then we have a signature covering the
>whole plaintext document, and another covering part of the plaintext
>document.  ZipPay can decrypt Bob's info and then verify both
>signatures: no need for verify-decrypt-verify, although of course that
>will work as well.

Yes, this is possible, but I didn't want to confuse the partial signature
possibility with the verify-decrypt-verify in the simple scenario...
Actually, with the proposed text, we could add a parenthesis making this
clear but I'm not sure if it confuses the issue...

/+(Alice's signature over Bob's encrypted data does not mean she signs its
clear text equivalent; as Alice only "signs what she sees", she signs the
encrypted data and nothing more.)+/