Re: Qn about nested encryption

I had the same question as Sanjeev when I first read section 2.5.  It seems to me that the statement in question is unnecessary and causes confusion.  That the definition of <EncryptedData> does not permit a child <EncryptedData> should be sufficient indication of structure.

Carl
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jim Schaad
  To: 'Sanjeev Hirve' ; 'xml-enc'
  Cc: 'Joseph M. Reagle Jr.'
  Sent: Wednesday, January 03, 2001 3:23 AM
  Subject: RE: Qn about nested encryption

  This statement is about structure not about content.  You are permitted to take anc EncryptedData element, encrypted as the content of another EncryptedData element.  What is not allowed is to place a node labeled EncryptedData within a node labeled EncryptedData.

  Thus:
   <EncryptedData>
       <EncryptedData>
       </EncryptedData>
  </EncryptedData>

  is disallowed not

  <EncryptedData>
    <CipherText> base64 of a an encrypted EncryptedData node goes here</CipherText>
  </EncrypteData>

  jim