RE: Attribute encryption

At 11:11 AM 1/9/2001 -0800, Blair Dillaway wrote:
>Ed Simon's earlier email stated quite clearly the issue of complexity
>versus value many of us are wrestling with. I have yet to see a compelling
>example that justifies the complexity and tend to agree with Philip H.'s
>earlier comments that "the set of all XML applications that require
>encryption to be added under the constraint of inflexible adherence to a
>legacy schema is the empty set."

This seems like a pretty bold statement to make, and it contradicts my
experience. There are companies that started using XML fairly early and
many of the applications that were developed were not upwardly
compatible.  The problems we are have had is not with attributes but with
encrypting element content.  Inserting new elements into what is expected
to be only CDATA is the main problem that I have seen (especially for DOM
parsers). We cannot tell a paying customer to redesign their legacy
applications and XML vocabularies.

Steve Wiley