RE: Attribute encryption

 I  am in agreement with following provisos:

1.  I definitely agree we should allow the use of XSLT to allow
    encryption or arbitrary fragments, such as attributes,
    but I don't think we should make it
    required for encrypting attributes (if indeed the WG
    decides encrypting attributes is a good idea).  Though
    I'm a big fan of XSLT, I'm not convinced it is the best
    approach for supporting attribute encryption.

No, in mode 2 you design your schema to the constraints of the XML
encryption standard so that it will work without XSLT transforms. The choice
of attribute or element with attribute is an arbitrary one. The choice of
element data over attributes appears to have fewer constraints.

So in the design process there should not be a case where it is necessary to
go for an attribute.

If the spec requires you to design the schema with all the secret info
contained in an element whose tag and attributes are not themselves secret
that is what you do.

<MySchema>
    <NonSecretStuff>
    <NotReadable>awpe9857q2h9827598ywaetaw98375iu23a56y89==</NotReadable>
</MySchema>

    A big difference between XSLT/XPath in XML Signature and
    in XML Encryption, is that in Signature it need only be
    one-way because you don't reconstruct the original data from
    the hash.  In Encryption, your mode 2 (as I understand it)
    requires an XSLT transformation for encrypting attributes and
    then another XSLT for the reverse transformation to go from
    the encrypted version to the plaintext.

2.  In XML Signature, you can sign attributes with the lightweight
    XPath rather than XSLT.  However, XPath, which is basically a
    point and retrieve mechanism, is not capable of doing the
    transformations required by mode 2; you can use it to select
    a subset for encrypting but you cannot use XPath to recreate
    the original, that requires XSLT. Though XSLT is more powerful,
    it also requires more processing capability which, I think,
    is one major reason why XPath was supported for XML Signature.

I agree, XPath is useful for Signature but not in encryption.

Phill, please clarify some things for me:
1.  Do you think XML Encryption should specify a mechanism for
    encrypting attributes?

 No

2.  Do you think that XML Encryption should discuss the use of
    XSLT transformations like those you have described for mode 2?

I think that the use of XSLT should be allowed but that it is only relevant
in cases where a legacy schema is being addressed (mode 1). The XSLT
transformation rearanges things to give the original message.

3.  If the answer to question 2 is yes, do you think that
    XML Encryption should specify syntax for XSLT
    transformations analagous to XML Signature's <XSLT> element?

I think the two specs should be aligned and use the same transformation
pipeline.