RE: Attribute encryption

I don't see why a separate transform layer would be less efficient.
Requiring all applications to support encrypted attributes would add
significantly to complexity and thus impair performance of all applications
- including those that do not require encrypted attributes.

I do not anticipate dealing with encrypted attributes. I strongly believe
that the set of all XML applications that require encryption to be added
under the constraint of inflexible adherence to a legacy schema is the empty
set.

I simply do not believe that message level encryption is a zero impact
change to a protocol. A signature can be ignored by the recipient.
Encryption cannot be ignored without ignoring the message.

The requirement for field level security only makes sense if you have a
message that A sends to B and B forwards to C where you want to control the
amount of information that is visible to B. Otherwise why not encrypt the
whole thing and be done with it?

I don't see how the impact on C can be avoided, if C is going to implement
encryption tweaking the schema is unlikely to be a major change.

The impact on B however will inevitably be significant since B will now have
less information than before. In fact it is almost certain that some
additional information will now have to be provided to B as a surrogate for
the information that is now hidden - such as returning the last four digits
of an encrypted CC number.

I don't understand the statement about keeping security transparent.
Encryption is never transparent to all parties, if it is then it isn't
security.

The designer of any schema has to understand both the business requirements
and the security requirements, the security requirements are simply a
refinement of the business requirements.

        Phill