Re: Serialization and canonicalization

At 09:25 11/13/2000 +0900, Hiroshi Maruyama wrote:
>As long as the data model (or information set) is preserved, any
>serialization method will do.  C14N satisfies this property and
>is implemented for XML Signature anyway, I think it is reasonable
>to reuse the C14N standard.

Right.

>By the way, I believe this discussion is exactly why I insist that
>the processing model of XML Encryption should be defined using
>the XML InfoSet (or equivalent data model).  It may free us from
>confusing questions such as character encoding, default
>attribute values, external entities, data types, and so on.

I remember asking a question on this, thinking I understood once you
answered, and now I remember my question again. Is the data model you speak
of used to describe the encrypted content (for instance if we went beyond
elements) or for the actual serialization? If for serialization, what
exactly do you mean? Are you suggesting an alternative to Canonical XML
(which is based on  XPath, not Infoset) that also addresses internet subset
issues?

__
Joseph Reagle Jr.