WG and Patent Issues

http://www.w3.org/2000/11/02-xml-encryption-ws/minutes.html
>ACTION ITEMS 4. Joseph Reagle: Check with Patent Working Group and look
>into Protocols Charter (Eric, W3C) about issues on Intellectual Property
>and Licensing Fees.

In order to close that action item: the policy I would advocate would be the
same one that XML Protocols recently adopted [1] except that people would
also have to send the email of notice to the public list.

http://www.w3.org/2000/09/XML-Protocol-Charter
5.7 IPR Disclosure

W3C promotes an open working environment. Whenever possible, technical
decisions should be made unencumbered by intellectual property right (IPR)
claims. W3C's policy for intellectual property is set out in section 1.5 of
the W3C Process document.
Members of the XML Protocol Working Group and any other Working Group
constituted within the XML Protocol Activity are expected to disclose any
intellectual property they have in this area. Any intellectual property
essential to implement specifications produced by this Activity must be at
least available for licensing on a royalty-free basis. At the suggestion of
the Working Group, and at the discretion of the Director of W3C,
technologies may be accepted if they are licensed on reasonable,
non-discriminatory terms.

Members disclose patent and other IPR claims by sending email to the
archived WG list and an archived mailing list that is readable by Members
and the W3C team: patent-issues@w3.org. Members must disclose all IPR claims
to these mailing list but they may also copy other recipients.

__
Joseph Reagle Jr.