Re: xml:rel, xml:href, xml:type

On 2012-04-06 19:48, Rushforth, Peter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think I previously posted this to the wrong list - apologies.
>

> Has it ever been considered to include standardized "typed links" into the core xml specification, in a manner that is similar to xml:base and xml:lang? (ie. via the xml: namespace).
>
> If these attributes were available to xml authors, xml could be a hypertext language without schema designers having to reinvent the markup for this concept; such re-invention  hinders interoperability.
>
> I propose the associated attributes below in the xml namespace
>
> xml:href - a single URI value
>
> xml:rel - one or more space-separated tokens or URIs, which identify the relationships the targeted resource has to the current context.  The value of this element could be defined to be compatible with http linking http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5988
>
> xml:type - a single MIME media type, with a value compatible with
> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2046.txt?number=2046
>

> This would allow XML representations the ability to contain "typed links", which is important for RESTful applications.
>
> If this idea is not stupid, how to go about proposing formally?
>

> Cheers,
> Peter Rushforth

Peter,

Thank you for your interest in XML.

The XML specification defines a mostly semantic-agnostic markup
technology that is relatively easy to parse and upon which many
higher level semantics can be built.

Hypertext linking outside of the document is not something which
needs action at the parser level, so it doesn't need to be specified
in the core XML specification.

The existing XLink Recommendation [1] already defines namespaced
markup for hypertext linking that would appear to address your
requirements.  In fact, XLink defines an xlink:href attribute
that appears to parallel your suggested xml:href attribute.

Note that the xlink:type attribute is not parallel to your suggested
xml:type (and xlink:type is optional and would not be needed for
most uses).  Providing the MIME media type of the link target at the
point of the link source is convenient for some applications but is
inherently risky.  The URI points to a resource, and retrieving a
representation of that resource determines the media type.

Also note that the XLink specification allows the definition of
more complex linking relationships, though those extended features
need not be used for simpler links.

paul

Paul Grosso
for the XML Core WG