Re: Comments on XML 1.0 5th edition -- Definition of Name

From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 12:02:50 +0000
To: James Clark <jjc@jclark.com>
Cc: xml-editor@w3.org

Thank you for your helpful comments, which I'll respond to in three
separate messages, of which this is the first.

James Clark wrote:

> [the spec.] still includes the definition:

>> [Definition: A *Name* is a token beginning with a letter or one of
>> a few punctuation characters, and continuing with letters, digits,
>> hyphens, underscores, colons, or full stops, together known as name
>> characters.]

> which is clearly not appropriate given the new definition of name.

The XML Core WG has agreed an addition to erratum E09 [1] (see the
second change to section 2.3) which slightly restructures the text in
this area and corrects the problem you identified.

This change has also been made to the 5e spec. itself.

[1] http://www.w3.org/XML/xml-V10-4e-errata#E09
- --
                         Half-time member of W3C Team
                Fax: (44) 131 651-1426, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk