Comment on xml:lang=""

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 15:00:35 +0100
To: xml-editor@w3.org
Cc: www-i18n-ig@w3.org

This is a comment on
http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xml-20040204/#sec-lang-tag
particularly concerning the following sentence concerning xml:lang=""

"Within B, it is considered that there is no language information available,
just as if xml:lang had not been specified on B or any of its ancestors."

I suggest "just as if" is a touch too strong, and could be better replaced by
"similar to the case when" or somesuch.

For example

It would be appropriate to match the whole element, including the child when
looking for English text. My case is more compelling when considering the
(probably syntactically incorrect :( ) XPath expression
"*[@xml:lang='en']//*"
what I am trying to say is all descendents of any element with explicit
xml:lang='en'. The child should match this, which is not "just as if"

Thanks for your consideration

Jeremy Carroll (personal comment)