Production 78 in XML 1.1

From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2003 13:17:08 -0500
To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Cc: xml-editors@w3.org

I noticed the following production in the latest proposed
recommendation of XML 1.1:

[78]     extParsedEnt     ::=     TextDecl? content - Char*
RestrictedChar Char*

In XML 1.0 the production is

[78]     extParsedEnt     ::=     TextDecl? content

The rationale for this change is unclear to me. Could anyone explain
this? I think this trying to say that an external parsed entity
cannot contain control characters unless they're wrapped inside an
element, comment, or processing instruction--for instance, an
external parsed entity consisting only of the bell character or
&#x07; would be illegal, but <bell>&#x07;</bell> would be legal--but
I'm not sure.  Does anyone know exactly what this means and why?

--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu