Re: The version number in XML documents

From: Dave Peterson <davep@acm.org>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 15:48:09 -0400
To: w3c-xml-plenary@w3.org, xml-editor@w3.org

>The XML Core WG solicits feedback on making an erratum-level
>change to XML 1.0, requiring that if a version number appears in the
>XML declaration, that it must be "1.0".
>
>Currently the version number can be almost any sequence of letters, digits,
>and period, but XML processors are allowed to throw a fatal error if
>the value is anything but "1.0".  With the proposed erratum, it will be
>a fatal error to use anything but "1.0".
>
>The intention of this proposal is to give XML 1.0 parsers a way to
>reject XML 1.1 documents up front by reason of version incompatibility.

Have I got this right?

Currently a 1.0 parser *may* reject any document not saying "1.0".  With
this erratum in place a 1.0 *must* reject any document not saying "1.0".

If I understand this right, a 1.0 parser already has "a way to reject
XML 1.1 documents up front".  You're only mandating that it *must* use
this way.  It appears that you're asserting that the intention of this
proposal is "to give XML 1.0 parsers a way to" do something they already
can do.  What's the point?
--
Dave Peterson
SGMLWorks!